 General / 13440
Re: Swearing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:01:58 GMT

Tom Stangl wrote in message <38726741.3242BBA0@netscape.com>...
Tony Priestman wrote:

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Laura Gjovaag (<Pine.SUN.3.96.1000103105250.1332G-
100000@eskimo.com>) wrote at 18:56:39

There is already regulation.  It's in the form of the Terms of Use that
you agreed to when you registered to post here.  If you think swearing • is
ok, please go and re-read them.

The one you are looking for is in "DISCUSSION GROUP TERMS AND • CONDITIONS",
item number 5, and the key words are "obscene", "vulgar", "profane", and
"indecent".

Define.

To quote in full:

5.  Post or transmit any unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous,
       defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, or indecent
       information of any kind, including without limitation any
       transmissions constituting or encouraging conduct that would
       constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or
       otherwise violate any local, state, national, or international
       law.

Given the wide variety of religious, social and legal systems across the
world, it becomes increasingly difficult to say anything other than
'Have a nice day' without offending *someone*.

Stop that!  That offends me!  <G,D,&R>

It makes me think of that puking yellow happy face (YHF).  The only thing • that
makes me feel better at that point is thinking of the YHF with a bleeding
bullet hole in the forehead.

   Who watches the watchmen?
--
   Have fun!