 General / 13175
Re: Service Catalog gone from lego.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 20:04:07 GMT

James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.technic, Gary R. Istok writes:

John Morgan wrote:

In lugnet.technic, Tim Wilkins writes:
Did you know that in Germany at www.legoshop.de you can buy absolutely
everything that Lego sells !!!!
Regards
Tim

:) in the interest of optimisum, Maybe LEGO® Direct is actually going to
create a Global availability for all parts. For the parts that have injury
potential,IE shooting canons, there could be a disclaimer about , these
items must be purchased by 18 years or older persons etc,etc,( I still
havent figured out why the flex system service pack wasnt offered in the
US) but hopefully when the LEGO® Direct moves into full stride we will see
everyone being able to purchase any part from any place in the world : )

John"they call me a dreamer, but I am not the only one......" Morgan

OK,  I don't want to shatter the dream John, but I don't think we're gonna get
"carte blanche" availability of parts, even from LEGO Direct.  Not unless TLC
alters their basic philosophy for parts creation.  I think that the reality of
"parts availability" will hold true.  For example - the 2x3x3 extreme slope
corner bricks in Yellow were only available in the Yellow Castle (375/6075),
which was made in the early 1980's.   You won't be seeing these pieces
available unless they are used in a recent/future set.  Even the Model Shops
in Billund/Windsor/Enfield have to use the pieces available to them from
current inventory (although one does wonder where they got all those light
blue bricks from).

Actually, Gary, I'd disagree with you here.  When I went to LLC, I saw a
number of pieces that aren't currently in production.  Including (off the top
of my head) 2x2x3 extreme slope corners in brown and tan, 1x8 tiles in tan
(huge vershukel loads of them in the lumber mill), various technic elements in
non-technic colors(1) in the New Orleans setup, 3x3 low corner slopes in light
blue, etc.   I could go on, bu I don't think I have to. ;)

James
http://www/shades-of-night.com/lego/

1:Which is to say, in colors. <grin, duck>

James,  I'm sure you're right. (No I haven't been to a LEGOLAND yet!)  But I've
observed a few things in the last 12 years that sort of contradicts this.  One was
about 14 years ago, when I visited a KMART near Detroit.  It had a LEGO display
building with a low sloped black roof.  But there were no 2x2 or 4x2 low sloped
peak bricks on the building (the Motorcycle Shop that first had them was not in
production yet).  They handled that by placing rows of 1x2 black tiles (with
central stud) on top of the upper row of black slopes.  And on top of that they put
a long row of 1x2 black tiles for the very peak.  Why they didn't use black 2x2 or
2x4 low sloped peaks on that building is a mystery to me.

A different building I saw about 12 years ago confirms what you have said, James.
That was a model of the Brussels Belgium gothic City Hall that I saw at a metro
Detroit Meijer's store.  It was made solely of tan and dark grey bricks (of many
sizes).  I don't remember tan or dark grey in any sets from 12 years ago.

Anyway, that begs the question:  Is the LEGO spare parts inventory (for when LEGO
purchasers are missing LEGO from their sets) the same inventory that the model
shops use?

We'll have to wait and see what becomes available from LEGO-Direct.  But I wouldn't
get my hopes up too high just yet about what will be available to us in bulk
orders.

Gary Istok