 General / 13174
Re: Swearing! (was something else)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 19:26:23 GMT

The funny thing about swearing is that it is all "in the eye of the
beholder."  What I mean by that is that one word may be completely offensive
to one person or group has little or no meaning to another.  "Bloody"
or "shag" are perfect examples, here in the USA they are considered somewhat
harmless.  In Mexico "aye Dios mio" or "Oh my God" is a common expression, but
to some in the USA this expression is considered blasphemous; does that make
these expressions less offensive? Well Yes! Offense should only be taken if it
is intended, the English language continues to evolve and change, and words
only mean what they are intended to mean.

Now you may be asking what my point is, here it is.  Lugnet is a wonderful
melting pot of people from many cultures and nationalities.  With this kind of
a mix it is easy to understand that things said can easily be taken
incorrectly, if there is something said that you feel is inappropriate the
best thing to do is kindly inform the author that his terminology could be
considered offensive and hope that he is considerate.  The wrong thing to do
is take it as a personal attack and feel anger toward someone who may not have
meant any harm.

Sorry if I rambled a little, just my two cents.

Scott