 General / 13172
Re: Swearing! (was something else)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 18:58:11 GMT

A recent Austin Powers movie contained a word in
the title that was very offensive to many English
speaking people... but not to the vast majority of Americans.
I think Americans find that word and the word "bloody"
to be quaint, not vulgar.  This movie is advertised
on Cartoon Network where children are exposed to
the word daily.  If the American synonym were placed
in the title instead of the British slang, TV networks
couldn't advertise the movie.

I think this is because the common usage in the U.S.
of bloody and shag are not profane.

The word "shag" can mean "catch" in baseball as in
"Let's go out and shag some fly balls"
or it is a style of haircut.

And bloody is an adjective describing O.J. Simpson's gloves.

I think many young Americans do not find the
word that started this whole thread, especially preceded by "big",
as offensive.  It's become a common expression that is not particularly
vulgar.
The two words together just mean "very big" as opposed to plain old big.

So my point is, people are going to occasionally make poor
word choices.  And rather than rehash this problem in the
lugnet newsgroups... it would be better to just email
them and let them know you find their comment offensive
and ask that they not repeat it.  If they continue on,
then complain in public.

Eugwe Coral wrote:

As I have said before - there are many younger people who read these posts.
At least - I get emails occasionally from younger poeple who claim to read
these posts...
The cleaner the better...

Eugwe Coral

-- dave