 General / 13038
    Re: Swearing? —John Neal
   Lindsay- That sound you hear is me weeping for the future. From where does *that* kind of nonsense come? -John (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

        Re: Swearing? —Matthew Miller
     (...) It's a very ancient belief that one is not to utter (and by extension, express in writing) the name of God. Or YHWH, or whatever. It's fairly doubtful that "God" is the _actual name_ of any deity, but, y'know, better safe than damned in hell (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

        Re: Swearing? —Jeff Thompson
     (...) This isn't something new. It's largely a Jewish practice, I believe, a refraining from writing the name of God on materials that might later be thrown away, defaced or erased. See Deuteronomy 12:3. A better explanation can be found at the (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

        Re: Swearing? —Lindsay Frederick Braun
    (...) Which nonsense, my feeling that it's unusual or the practice of eradicating the "o"? If the former, it's because I'm a Unitarian, and because most of the essays I get don't shy away from capital-G God in expository writing. (And no, I *never* (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)

        Re: Swearing? —John Neal
    (...) Ah, I see. I thought it was because of an unbelief in God:-p It is confusing because, as you say, the Hebrew name for God as written in the OT is YHWH (however it's pronounced, no one knows for sure). So to spell the generic word for God (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

        Re: Swearing? —Lindsay Frederick Braun
    (...) This was a common convention before the late 19th century, as well--but it was context-sensitive too; for example, when using in an admonishment or a swear, you would - the "o" (along with the "am" in d--n, much later), but in theological (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)