 General / 13042
Re: Swearing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 17:02:43 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Neal writes:

Mr L F Braun wrote:

-I still
get essays from college students where they refuse to spell out "God"
and will write "G-d".

Lindsay-

That sound you hear is me weeping for the future.  From where does
*that* kind of nonsense come?

-John

This isn't something new.  It's largely a Jewish practice,
I believe, a refraining from writing the name of God on materials
that might later be thrown away, defaced or erased.  See
Deuteronomy 12:3.

A better explanation can be found at the Judaism 101 site:
http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm

--

jthompson@esker.com   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"