 General / 12968
Re: "Just Build" at www.lego.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 01:50:04 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Harshbarger writes:
Good, now I don't feel guilty about not furthering the development of my
little brick building applet at:

http://www.ericharshbarger.org/cgi-bin/j?brix/index.html

which I wrote in a 30 fit of Java-programming months ago

WOW!  It works!  It's actually usable -- right from the browser -- without
any plugins or external apps.

Say, if you're still planning on continuing development, a wish-list item I
would suggest is being able to import LDraw DAT files.  (Woo!)  Dunno how
your 3D system works internally but you could get a huge parts library with
very little effort if you could do that.  Maybe Gyug's LDLite code would
even help make that simpler.

OTOH, if you're not planning on continuing development, would you consider
releasing the source code under GPL or equivalent so that someone else could
pick it up?  There was a discussion back in 1998 on writing an LDraw/LDLite-
compatible viewer in Java, but I'm not sure that ever came to fruition.  What
you have is an excellent working prototype which may be at at Just The Right
Stage in its development (just enough done, but not too done) to blossom into
something totally wonderful.

--Todd

p.s.  Love those sound effects!  :)

[followups to lugnet.cad]

Message is in Reply To:
  Re: "Just Build" at www.lego.com

Good, now I don't feel guilty about not furthering the development of my little brick building applet at: (URL) I wrote in a 30 fit of Java-programming months ago eric (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.general)