 CAD / 3363
Re: "Just Build" at www.lego.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 16:08:40 GMT

Todd,

Gee... thanx for the compliments on my Java-Brix-Builder. I never
thought to mention it earlier. I had originally programmed it to attract
the attention of the folks who designed the legolandca.com website (they
had been using some of my other Java applets on the site).

What is demoed right now is VERY ad-hoc and does not use any rigorous 3D
modeling/transformations. I literally threw it together in 3 days of
non-stop programming, but once it got to proof-of-concept stage, I
forced myself to stop development unless Legolandca.com or others
expressed an interest.

None was really expressed (or at least not enough to motivate me to
continue).

Let me think about the programming a bit more, then I'll decide what to
do with the development or the source code.

eric

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.general, Eric Harshbarger writes:
Good, now I don't feel guilty about not furthering the development of my
little brick building applet at:

http://www.ericharshbarger.org/cgi-bin/j?brix/index.html

which I wrote in a 30 fit of Java-programming months ago

WOW!  It works!  It's actually usable -- right from the browser -- without
any plugins or external apps.

Say, if you're still planning on continuing development, a wish-list item I
would suggest is being able to import LDraw DAT files.  (Woo!)  Dunno how
your 3D system works internally but you could get a huge parts library with
very little effort if you could do that.  Maybe Gyug's LDLite code would
even help make that simpler.

OTOH, if you're not planning on continuing development, would you consider
releasing the source code under GPL or equivalent so that someone else could
pick it up?  There was a discussion back in 1998 on writing an LDraw/LDLite-
compatible viewer in Java, but I'm not sure that ever came to fruition.  What
you have is an excellent working prototype which may be at at Just The Right
Stage in its development (just enough done, but not too done) to blossom into
something totally wonderful.

--Todd

p.s.  Love those sound effects!  :)

[followups to lugnet.cad]

Eric Harshbarger / eric@ericharshbarger.org / www.ericharshbarger.org

"Oh please, if people are going to start telling the truth around
here... I'm going to bed." - Jackie-O (Parker Posey, THE HOUSE OF YES)

  "Just Build" at www.lego.com

I don't know how long this has been in place, but it's new to me. In the members area under "what's new," there is a live, on-screen brick builder app. It contains many of the elements seen in the LEGO Advent Calendar set. Drag and drop. Two-button (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.announce)