 General / 12771
12770  |  12772
Subject:
new Duplo for 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.duplo
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 09:31:40 GMT

I gleaned the following from www.lego.com today, so far, the following duplo
sets for 2000 are up, I have included a brief description and some random
thoughts.......(feel free to disagree)

2751 - Eggs:
These are rather strange, yet interesting, I thought. 12 egg shaped
containers, which screw (?) apart to contain your favourite duplo toy. Also
can be stacked. I could see that this would be a great toy for the very young,
they would make great rattles, and shakers although hard to hold for babies,
but could be rolled along the floor. You could put anything in them, thus
changing the toy on a daily basis. I don't know if the toys shown in these
eggs are included, I rather think not, though it doesn't specify. The toys
shown are a large selection across the range, including forest friends,
animals, cars etc. So, I would think the eggs come empty. I thought that to
buy them in a set of 12 was a bit much, though I guess this depends on price,
however if you were buying them for a babies rattle, 12 would be overkill.
Though for stacking they could be interesting.
They seem more along the lines of Primo, to me rather than Duplo. Unless you
like the idea of imprisoning your Duplo charactors in clear egg shaped
prisons....pod people perhaps???

2942 - House:
For some strange reason this set is under the heading of forest friends, on
the website. It is actually a very large two story house, much the same as we
have seen previously, no surprises here. Red roof, white walls. The family
consists of mother, father, sister, babie and a grey cat. Furniture as usual,
vaccuum cleaner, beds, tables, but has a blue and yellow car. Ho Hum....

2198 - building plates:
These come in a set of three yellow, red and green, 6 stud wide plates. These
are great for building townhouses or flats with. I'm still waiting for a
selection of large building plates in any other color bar red, green and
white. How about blue (for water!!!) or yellow for a change? Large green has
supposedly been discontinued for 2000 (or so I was told) so that leaves us
with red (in the large size), the least useful in my opinion.

2990 - Tiggers treehouse:
This is cute but as I don't collect this theme I'll leave it to someone who
does to comment.
My personal opinion ( rant, rave....)here is that bringing out Duplo in
Disney characters kinda stifles imaginative play somewhat, instead of creating
their own stories winnie will do what winnie does.
Whatever happened to the art of creative play?
Every kid who knows these stories will merely re-enact the videos and books
with thier Duplo charactors.(though I have to say the stories themselves are
wonderful, but not the incredible lineup of winnie the pooh toys form every
major toy manufacturer) however, this defeats what I see as the main role that
Duplo plays, that everyday, the constructions and role playing changes to
reflect the childs experiences.
Duplo is not a tool to reenact videos and movies, IMHO.
Whew, glad I got that off my chest!

2989 - The big honeypot:
As above. (cute, though I wont be buying it)

2297 - Building elements for animals:
snail shells, plane wings, etc, these are cute, but are listed under the Duplo
header, I would think this will be corrected. It looks more like Primo to me,
Unless its a new in-between set.
A nice addition, gives more scope, for the very young builder who is not ready
for Duplo yet.

2400 - More building elements
Ladybug wings, large bug bodies, etc, same as above, kind of a pre Duplo set,
in between Primo and Duplo.

Obviously this is only a part of the new Duplo release,  I know that there are
more light and sound vehicles, train tunnel and passenger train, clown train,
and toolo coming out, but no sign of it yet. Also, there will be either a
large farm or zoo for 2000 too. (This info comes from Lego Australia,and yes
I checked it was ok before I posted)

Go and check out the pictures for yourselves, they are scattered through the
catalogue, some under Asia, some Europe. Obviously a work in progress, I'll be
checking back regularly, as it seems to have taken a VERY long time to see any
of the new Duplo sets. I'm hoping there will be a LOT more!!!

Rachel :-)