 General / 12407
Re: I can do what I want
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 06:47:57 GMT

Point taken!  A very concise and courteous response.  Thank you, Matthew.
BTW, I abhor having to cut my bricks, and so far, have only done it twice.
And only one of the cut pieces ended up being used.  The other is just
rattling around 'till I make up my mind to toss it.

Dave

Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote in message
David Simmons <alienbuz@concentric.net> wrote:
is more imaginative in their piece creations.  While I do try to limit my
usage of the Dremel, if I have boatloads of the piece and it won't work • any
other way then it's time for surgery!

There's a more serious point behind all the joking. If I wanted a • free-form
medium, I would use modeling clay or basic electronic components + a
soldering iron. Part of what makes Lego fun and interesting is working
within the rules of the system.

This isn't like saying "it's only allowed to stack bricks one on top of
another with no deviation". It's fun to see what amazing stuff can be done
with the limits. And, another advantage of this is that anything that is
done is something that, given equal resources, any of the rest of us could
duplicate.

Calvinball can be fun, but there's also a lot of joy in games with
structure. If you're playing Rook [1], you don't want people to keep • writing
new numbers on the cards.

This isn't saying that YOU can't do it of course. Just that
brick-modification _is_ outside of what makes the Lego system what it is • to
a lot of us.

[1] My favorite cardgame; it's a mennonite-heritage thing.

--
Matthew Miller                      ---> • mattdm@mattdm.org
Quotes 'R' Us                       ---> • http://quotes-r-us.org/