 General / 12347
Re: Another part variation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 15:11:39 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
obPartTrivia: Anyone notice that there are[1] two different versions of the
"Palm Tree Trunk Segment"?  One is 40LDU[2] tall, the other is 44LDU tall.
The difference is in the male connector on the bottom of the part.  The
shorter version appears to be the same as the taller, just 4LDU-worth of
connector has been removed.

The current version is the shorter.  It's used in set #8247, Road Rebel.

The longer version grips about 3x better, when trying to separate the parts
by bending them sideways.  This could be important, if your palm trees are
in a hurricane.

Hmm.  I just realized that the palm tree trunk pieces in my copy of #5988,
Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins, are the longer version.  That's the version I
thought was older.

Weird *and* trivial.

In something like this, it is possible (almost certain) that TLC has
several molds, one or two could easily be the older variation. One
interesting thing to do would be to compare the parts from 5988 against
an older set, and see if there is any sign of mold wear in the 5988
parts compared to the older set (could be very hard to find depending on
the exact tolerances TLC uses to determine when to retire a mold).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com