 General / 12299
Re: making your own LEGO parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 16:06:39 GMT

Michael Horvath wrote in message ...
A while ago I was watching the Discovery channel and saw a program in which
some scientists somewhere were building plastic models using a computer. • From
what I understood, there's a big vat of molten plastic which cools and • hardens
as it rises out of the heated tub.  A laser then trims the cooling plastic • to
the desired shape and dimension.  I was wondering if this process could be
used to build your own LEGO parts?  It would be like having a printer • attached
to your computer that builds objects instead of just displaying them.
Mike

The process is called Stereo Lithography. At least one of the processes...
It is a laser-hardened low grade plastic that acts as a 3-D plotter for CAD
files. It is used for prototyping plastic parts.

Problem is cost of the equipment $175,000-and up (way up!). Also, the
tolerances of the prototyped part are typically less than desirable for
small Lego-type parts.

Hope this helps

Eric