 General / 12278
Re: making your own LEGO parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 07:57:51 GMT

Kevin Maynes <ERASETHISBITkmaynes@powersurfr.com> wrote in message
news:FMt8uu.33r@lugnet.com...
I've seen the same footage. As I understood the narrative, it's an • epoxy-like
resin that is hardened by the laser light. The laser is • computer-controlled to
build the item in question a layer at a time, as the item is lowered into • the
resin bath.
As I understand it NASA is looking into this kind of tech for extended • manned
spaceflights, i.e. Mars or Europa or wherever, so they can use it to
manufacture spare parts as needed rather than carrying stuff that might • not be
needed at all.
This kind of tech might make it to commercial use sometime in the next • couple
decades (an uneducated way-out-there guess), but don't count on it being • cheap
enough to make Lego parts.

K.M.

Some decades?..Even here in Turkey, several big companies that I know
(especially the ones with plastic related jobs, such as home appliances
industry) has this kind of gear for rapid prototyping. It's working
principles slightly different, since there is no laser as I know of, but a
type of epoxy injection, that hardens in time, from a nozzle. The quality of
the plastic is not that you want to see as a Lego brick, though. The one
that I saw while working is in Arçelik (largest home appliances manufacturer
in Turkey and one of our customers) R&D Labs, and is generally used for
prototyping plastic outer shells/covers of the appliances.

Selçuk