 General / 12042
    Re: Introducing LEGO Direct —Eric Kingsley
   (...) I do not know where you are from so I can't make any assumptions based on your market but in the US you almost never see either Belville or Scala in stores and usually when you do see it its in a specialty store (in my experiance anyway). I (...) (25 years ago, 13-Dec-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

        Re: Introducing LEGO Direct —John Neal
    Eric Kingsley wrote: <snip> (...) <snip> I know I'll prolly get lit up good for this, but here goes. Generally speaking, I don't see LEGO as being a toy sought out by girls. Now before you ignite the torches, let me explain. First, take an (...) (25 years ago, 13-Dec-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

        Re: Introducing LEGO Direct —Matthew Miller
     (...) Part of my frustration is that it's difficult to _find_ Lego system toys that are generally appealing to girls. Almost all of the sets are fire trucks, police stations, race cars, or space/castle/pirate sets, and as someone else mentioned, all (...) (25 years ago, 13-Dec-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

         Re: Introducing LEGO Direct —Ray Sanders
      TLC has produced some non-conflict sets, the one that comes to my mind is 6595 'Surf Shack'. I somewhat suspect that this set was sort of a prototype-Paradisa set, although without the pink. Train sets would also fall into this catagory. Ray (...) (25 years ago, 13-Dec-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

         Re: Introducing LEGO Direct —Rachel Kingston
     (...) OK well an AFOL mother of a boy(2yrs) and a girl (10yrs) I guess I'm qualified to add something to this discussion. My daughter, would've actually loved the pink cutesy themed sets when she was three to five yrs old. That is when she started (...) (25 years ago, 14-Dec-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

         Re: Introducing LEGO Direct —Matthew Miller
     (...) You're right; I didn't mean to say that. Note my distain for the Scala line. I'd like to see the better non-conflict oriented sets for boys AND girls. But I also have a hypothesis that these sets would sell really well to girls. And when I'm (...) (25 years ago, 14-Dec-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

        Re: Introducing LEGO Direct —Eric Kingsley
     (...) Well I am not going to light you up at all because I agree with most of what you say. I actually think that other than a few slight differences our views on this subject are very similar. I agree that LEGO is not sought out by girls. I really (...) (25 years ago, 13-Dec-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

         Re: Introducing LEGO Direct —Matthew Miller
     (...) I guess part of my point is that not only are the Lego Company's current efforts not a part of the solution, they are ACTIVELY a part of the problem. Their "for girls" line is their least problem-solving/building oriented, and conversely, (...) (25 years ago, 13-Dec-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

        Girls and LEGO (was: Re: Introducing LEGO Direct) —Shiri Dori
   Hi John and everyone, Before I respond to John's letter, I'd like to say this: As a girl, not so long ago fitting in the Scala and Belville age range, with three (both older and younger) sisters and three girl cousins, I have to say that I agree (...) (25 years ago, 14-Dec-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.belville, lugnet.scala)

        Re: Girls and LEGO (was: Re: Introducing LEGO Direct) —Steve Martin
   (...) - (...) Shiri, I hope you are right. So far my little girl is showing some interest in lego. I am a little worried that she isn't interested enough. Although my wife encourages me by reminding me she is only 10 months old. ;-) Steve (25 years ago, 14-Dec-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.belville, lugnet.scala)

        Re: Girls and LEGO (was: Re: Introducing LEGO Direct) —Shiri Dori
     (...) LOL! :-D Thanks for making my day! -Shiri (25 years ago, 14-Dec-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.belville, lugnet.scala)

        Re: Girls and LEGO (was: Re: Introducing LEGO Direct) —Heather Patey
   In lugnet.general, Steve Martin writes: <snip> (...) LOL too! Give her time, Steve, and she probably won't need very much, with your encouragement... my just-turned-two-year-old has lots of Primo and Duplo, and she continually asks to "build a (...) (25 years ago, 15-Dec-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.belville, lugnet.scala)