 General / 12042
Re: Introducing LEGO Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 15:09:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Neal writes:

Eric Kingsley wrote:

<snip>

Just don't dumb things down for girls.

Your spin on TLC's marketing to girls is interesting.  Although you and your
wife find it objectionable, I and my daughter don't.  In fact, I would say
that the vast majority like it, or otherwise TLC wouldn't have invested so
much into it.

I do not know where you are from so I can't make any assumptions based on your
market but in the US you almost never see either Belville or Scala in stores
and usually when you do see it its in a specialty store (in my experiance
anyway).  I think that the the direct compition for these sets in the states is
Barbie and IMHO that is a losing battle.  I therefore do not think that these
lines are successful in the U.S. anyway and that is my only perspective.  These
lines may be very successful in other contries.

I may be wrong, but I think that their market research has discovered that
girls would rather play with midi and maxifigs, rather than minifigs.  Boys
would rather play with the space ships and vehicles *for* minifigs.  Witness
the unsuccessful Paradisa line.  The only people who seem to like it are Art
Deco and Miami Vice fans;-)

The one thing I agree with here is that Boys would rather play with space ships
and vehicles *for* minifigs.  I don't necessarily think that girl would rather
have midi and maxifigs.  Many doll-houses don't have figs at all and are mostly
full of furniture that girls can place as they like.  I think that a town theme
where the focus was on the interior that had minifigs to scale with the rooms
would be a great success for LEGO.  The one thing doll-houses don't have is the
ability to change the building itself and LEGO is perfectly suited for this.

So your statement about dumbing things down for girls doesn't make any sense.
If anything, TLC has dumbed down sets for *boys* (ie Town Jr).  Just because
the lines directed towards girls (Belville, Scala) come in wild greens, pinks,
and oranges doesn't mean a darned thing.  Personally, I find elements colored
trans green, red, yellow, orange, etc. completely unusable and a waste.

Well my argument may have made no sense to you and that is fine.  I agree that
Town is juniorized and it is for Boys but younger boys before they move on to
the more action oriented themes.  IMHO think that if Town were unjuniorized it
would have a good chance of building a large following with older girls.

Again any color in moderation is good.  My opinion however is that pink is a
focus for these themes and that is not necessary for marketing a set to girls.

Boys' and girls' tastes are different.  Expecting them to enjoy the same
themes IMO is unreasonable.  I think TLC figured this out long ago and hence
the divergence of marketing strategies for boys and girls.

I agree totally.  I would not expect boys to be interested in the types of town
sets that I am suggesting.

My .02,
John

You make some very valid points I just think that we each have our 2 cents in
different pockets hence the different viewpoints.

Eric

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

View my creations at: