 General / 1197
1196  |  1198
Subject:
More 1999 Catalog Thoughts...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 04:30:01 GMT

Here's what I've been able to glean, and my thoughts...

STAR WARS

Looks great!  Based on the catalog pics, it looks like the X-wing
will have movable wings.  Same with the snowspeeder - if you look
closely at the catalog scan, you can see where it seems to be
attached, and it sure looks like a hinge to me.  I can't tell if
there's a second pilot in the speeder, but it looks to me like
there isn't.  The scout trooper visor certainly seems to be on the
minifig head instead of the helmet - on the other hand, Darth's
helmet has the faceplate on, and the head underneath appears to be
grey.

ROCK RAIDERS
Hmm...looks like a lot of new 'prefab' pieces - just like the later
Aquazone sets seemed to be.  I'm not sure how much I'm going to like
these.  The comic is really odd, especially when the Raider's helmet
flies off and she's drawn with the traditional LEGO head-top stud.
A bette rlook at the Rock Creature seems to indicate that it's
posable - at least, one arm is.  The other one isn't.  Who thought
/that/ one up?!

ADVENTURERS
A better look at the golden bedpan.  The boat is an interesting
combination of a prefab front with a built rear.  I'm not very
impressed with the raft - some of the rafts from Pirates or even
Castle have been much better looking.  The big Inca/Aztec/whatever
temple looks pretty nice, and the baseplate will probably be useful.
I wonder if it'll get repainted and used as a road - maybe in a
future castle set?

NINJA
Looks good, but not too different from the current Ninja offerings.
The white ninja - someone missed seeing it - is on the left side of
page 18.  Check out the grappling hook in 3053 - nice.  It looks like
a new faction is entering the Japanese LEGOverse.  The figure pack
contains yet another way to get the Shogun (sigh) and omits the eye-
patch bandit.  How many Shoguns does LEGO think we need?  I /like/
the boat, though. Very stylish, and probably the first of the new
Ninja sets I'll pick up.

SPACE PORT
Hmm.  Looks kinda Town Jr-ish to me. :/  I can't really tell what
pieces the space shuttle thing is made up of, though, so I could
be wrong.  I like the fact that the shuttle is modular...

No opinions on the other stuff, really.  So...there you have it:
What I Think. I've got an opinion, and everyone is entitled to it.
8)