 General / 11881
Re: Juniorization -- too simple even for kids?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 09:53:25 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote:

Hi Mike, John--

I miss the Space Datsville conversation, you know.  ;)  I'd build a Mars Polar
Lander, but I'm afraid I'd just lose it.  At least I know how many newtons are in
a pound of thrust (different probe, but still...).

Well, I plan to revive Datsville in space at some point!  I'm distracted
at the moment, because I'm actually working on a model, the first in
decades!  B^)

Mike Poindexter wrote:

I feel you are in err a bit on the idea of age recommendations for toys.  It
seems as though I see this happen with everyone.

"It says 5-7 on the box.  Our child is almost 4, but he is really bright."

In fairness to John and others, the age recommendation is based on several
factors--one of which is "suitability" beyond the idea of liability.  I know some
companies think solely of the liability angle, but I guess I'm enough of an
optimist to think that TLC actually concerns itself with suitability and "play
value."

I think that, once the kid is beyond the mouthing stage, there is no
significant liability issue with Lego.  Maybe I'm not creative enough to
be a product liability attorney.

I know six- and seven-year-olds who are still enthralled with Duplo.
They're not less smart, they just prefer the larger blocks and simpler models for
some reason.  Hey, I'm 28 and I still can't get into Technic like some...

I use Technic parts for a few things here and there, but the main reason
that I don't get into Technic is that I like SOLID objects.  It's pretty
simple, actually.

The age recommendations are for safety, not how smart the kid is.  That is
why they have big fat duplo, then still big primo and you have to wait until
you are old enough not to place friction pegs in your mouth before you are
ready for technic.

Erk, I should give away all of my Technic pieces, then.  The friction pegs still
get held in my mouth sometimes.  (Note to traders:  I do wash pieces before I send
them out.  ;) )

[snip]

A little kid can't put a BURP in his mouth.  I have yet
to see people accidentally swallow a 1x4x5 wall.

Yes, many BURPs come right out of the mouths of small children.

LOL!  Wow!  And no smiley?  What were you thinking?

[snip]

The Duplo hasn't been out of its box since the day the "hard Legos"
arrived.  I'm ready to send it to the attic. (Actually, strike that --
since it's nominally compatible with standard Lego, maybe I can use it
for something???)

Yuck!  You would use those bricks that are contaminated with baby spit and
dried snot?  Run them through the washing machine first...

Er, Mike, do you have children?  :)  Baby spit and baby snot are NOTHING.

Hear, hear!

John,
DUPLO makes great support for large structures, if you top them with standard
bricks.  Most people keep them to interior sections though.

This is exactly what I had in mind.  One of my son's Duplo parts is a 10
X 2 brick.  In standard Lego scale, this is a 20 X 4 X 2 brick.  Wow!
What a cool large beam!

In the final analysis it's the parents' responsibility to make those choices.
Maybe a 1x1 brick or tile is too small--but what about giving a child who's bored
with DUPLO a lot of 2x4 bricks and larger plates?  I know I was playing with
"standard LEGO" from the age of four on--but I was eased into the smaller, more
technical pieces.

I don't think that there's anything more "technical" about a 1 X 1
plate.  But it is a little harder to manipulate.  Also, watching Spencer
I've learned something interesting about the larger plates -- assembling
them can take a degree of strength that we adults take for granted.

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.
Department of Structural Biology