 General / 1182
1181  |  1183
Subject:
(1999) After further review - thank goodness for Star Wars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 05:58:03 GMT

Well, after reviewing the clearer images on Lugnet (thanks Todd and
Richard!), I must say I'm thankful for the Star Wars line, because the rest
of LEGO's 1999 offerings are uninspired to say the least.

This oversimplified, non-building-oriented stuff (other than the Star Wars
line) is so far removed from the LEGO I grew up with it's beyond
disappointing.  As someone in the marketing and public relations field, I'm
astonished that any right-minded marketing professional would tell the CEO
of LEGO that this was the appropriate direction for a BUILDING toy company.
How hard is it to substitute a 1X4 with a door piece?  How hard is it to
look at the Town line, or any past theme for that matter, from the 80s and
even the early 90s and not be able to, at least, rise to the same level of
those designs?

This must be what the kids want, so who am I to question a toy company as
successful as LEGO is?  I guess I'm baffled because LEGO still shows it can
come up with good designs (see Star Wars sets) using more than Town Jr.-type
pieces and elements.  I didn't think LEGO could pull off the sleek yellow
fighter to be seen in Episode I, but it looks like they did.  That shows
they still have what it takes when they apply themselves...

Steve