 General / 11646
  Re: Introducing LEGO Direct

I won't be the first to say welcome, and I won't be the last... but I have to say it! This is great. My one wish? Let me put my money where my mouth is. I've shot off about how your sites can be improved in the past. Put me (and the firm I work for) (...) (24 years ago, 10-Dec-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Introducing LEGO Direct

(...) Excellent suggestion. I can't help but think that ldraw technology is necessary for the parts ordering system. This would prevent them from using proprietary technology which may have held up this in the past. There are alot of web developers (...) (24 years ago, 10-Dec-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Introducing LEGO Direct

[snipped .dear-lego from the ng list] (...) The LEGO Company has much better tools than LDraw. I remember a year or two ago, they were posting job openings that required experience with a specific high-end CAD/3D-modeling tool (maybe it was ALIAS? I (...) (24 years ago, 10-Dec-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Introducing LEGO Direct

(...) sure). (...) Of course all of the pieces are modeled in a high end graphics package. They need to include things like drafts and parting lines in order to manufacture these parts. They certainly don't make tools by hand, ya know! The problem (...) (24 years ago, 10-Dec-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Introducing LEGO Direct

I don't mold plastic for a living but I think when you design plastic parts you have to design what you want to actually get, to a very high tolerance, and then you have to design the mold, which will have DIFFERENT dimensions than the desired part, (...) (24 years ago, 10-Dec-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Introducing LEGO Direct

(...) (mabie even ldraw format) would have only a few digits of precision as opposed to the many digits that a compeditor would need to make the elements. -- Jonathan Wilson wilsonj@xoommail.com (URL) (24 years ago, 10-Dec-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Introducing LEGO Direct

(...) They have multiple resolution models of (some of?) the parts. Releasing lower resolution versions shouldn't be a problem. Not that I ever see it happening anyway... Steve (24 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.general)