 General / 11545

Subject:
What is a set, philosophically
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 01:57:42 GMT

I'm in the middle of a massive set rebuilding effort, something I
might post more about later as I finish it up.

One of my goals is to figure out what sets I have.  This is not
quite as easy as it sounds, because I have a few tons of lego
that I picked up at garage sales and whatnot, and those have lots
of random lego which I'm working my way through, trying to break
them down into their original sets.

It seems that one could have a set in various states:
A. have the pieces, have the instructions, have the box
B. have the pieces, have the instructions, no box
C. have the pieces, no instructions, have the box
D. have the pieces, no instructions, no box

From a collector's standpoint, 'A' is certainly a set.  I've never kept
boxes around because I don't have room, so I've always felt that 'B'
qualifies as having the set.  Probably 'C' too.

'D' doesn't feel like having the set somewhow, but if I were to find all
the pieces to the yellow castle, pull the instructions off brickshelf,
build it, and put it on a shelf, then it would be hard to argue that I
didn't have the set.

On the other hand, I don't think I have set 6807, the supposedly rare
unnamed classic space set... but I could build three or four of them with
my spare parts just within reach.  What if find the parts for it in this
pile?

And on basically the same note - to be space complete in the eyes of the
community, do I need to have all the pieces, or all the instructions and
the pieces, or (augh!) all the boxes too?

I'm certain this comes down to however I feel like defining my sets, but
I'm interested in everyone's opinion on this...

Remy Evard -- evard@mcs.anl.gov -- www.mcs.anl.gov/~evard -- 630.252.5963
Manager of Advanced Computing and Networking,  MCS,  Argonne National Lab

Re: What is a set, philosophically
And on basically the same note - to be space complete in the eyes of the
community, do I need to have all the pieces, or all the instructions and
the pieces, or (augh!) all the boxes too?

I'm certain this comes down to however I feel like defining my sets, but
I'm interested in everyone's opinion on this...

Remy Evard -- evard@mcs.anl.gov -- www.mcs.anl.gov/~evard -- 630.252.5963
Manager of Advanced Computing and Networking,  MCS,  Argonne National Lab

In my, personal, opinion I own a set if I have the pieces for it, without the
same pieces being used for other sets. If I have bought, say set number 1 and
set number 2, and with ttheir combined pieces, then either I own set 1 and set
2 OR I own set 3 (mabe with some pieces left), but I don't own set 1, 2 AND 3.
Instructions aren't necessary to own the set in my opinion, neither is the box.

Sybrand Bonsma

In lugnet.general, Sybrand Bonsma writes:
[...]

Obviously, if legos ever become as valuable as collector's pieces as say Barbie
and GI Joe from the 50's and 60's, it would help if they were still in an
unopened box, with everything complete. Other than that, I agree with Sybrand,
that as long as you can have the complete set built with all the correctly
colored pieces (even if they aren't the same exact ones that came in the box
originally) then you can say you have a set.

-Jonathan

[...]

I always have fun when I buy a set from EBAY.  Many times the seller isn't LEGO
knowledgeable, and they may have assembled a set.  I recently won a few auctions
where the sets were 1970's sets.  Among them I sometimes find Cellulose Acetate
pieces mixed in.  I know full well that CA was discontinued in the mid 1960's, so
somebody did some set re-assembly.  In one case the set was #196 (Building Set with
People), a big head people set from 1975 with an old car with the big spoked
wheels.  Well all the bricks in the set were old, but mint Cellulose Acetate
pieces.  Someone reassembled this set using older bricks.  I just got a #396
Thatcher Perkins Locomotive Model set from 1975, and there were some Cellulose
Acetate pieces as well.  I like to play detective to find these anomolies.  It's
almost "A hah! I caught you".

Gary Istok

Re: What is a set, philosophically