 General / 11398
Re: What category is Arctic? (system dissapeared)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 21:08:45 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
384c4640.771464@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, "Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> writes:

Does anyone know if the forthcoming Arctic theme is a sub-species of an
existing theme, or is it a whole new or semi-new animal, a la Rock • Raiders?

Artic is part of LEGO System Town and Rock Raiders is part of LEGO System
Underground.

--Todd

Hey Todd,

I would agree with you that Arctic belongs to town since the set numbers are
certainly in the right corner. TimeCruisers and Paradisa were also a part of
town (although no real subtheme) in my opinion so Arctic is too at least for
me.
Well that's not the point I wanted to mention, I think you will have to get
used to the fact that the system range entirely dissapeared now. I haven't
seen the LEGO(R) logo combined with the system symbol lately, I can't find
any sign for the system logo on www.lego.com (though Technic, Scala, Primo
etc. still excist) and the new 2000 catalogue on brickshelf shows that the
system logo is no more mentioned on one single place. For the retailers
among us :) the new 2000 LEGO boxes do not show the "system" logo any more
either; please note that this is only rumors as no sets have been seen yet
:) :) !
I wonder how the new 2000 Star Wars boxes will look like. I don't think it
would be a good idea to give them a new design other than the one there is
right now but I am pretty sure there won't be any system logo on the sets.

Well, fact is that System dissapeared and TLC will go towards more themes
than subthemes in the future. That's why they did never really call U.F.O.
or Insectoids Space although they obviously are. Rock Raiders had enough
discussions yet.

Please note that also other typical names are going to change; the
traditional primo and duplo logos might be replaced soon by simply "baby",
"kids" or other things.

I wonder how the databases will get this problem managed, it might really be
a problem one day. So far all sets which had the classic bricks were grouped
into the the large "theme" system (or earlier LEGOLAND (C) I think). Now
they are more on the same basement as SCALA, BELVILLE, BASIC, ZNAP and
others which is IMO a bad developement.

Other impressions appreciated.

Bye, Christian.
The World is full of AFOLs - gech1@t-online.de