 General / 11367
Re: What category is Arctic?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 10:03:04 GMT

In lugnet.general, Selçuk Göre writes:
Does anyone know if the forthcoming Arctic theme is a sub-species of an
existing theme, or is it a whole new or semi-new animal, a la Rock
Raiders?

Artic is part of LEGO System Town and Rock Raiders is part of LEGO System
Underground.

Is it officially? I think there is nothing called "town" in current lego
range. Resq, Spaceport and extreme team sets are all supposed to be official
town sets (according to their product number range), but they are being
shown in same hierarchical level with town itself on www.lego.com.

Most of the stuff on www.lego.com is marketing-focused without much careful
regard to details

I think Official Lego Product Classification is somehow different now
(w.r.t. the one in past). Actually, I might be inserting my nose to a
subject in which you have at least a bachelor's degree :-)), but this is
what I've seen when I've checked

http://www.lego.com/parents/overview/

Yeap, that's the overview for parents.  Obviously organized in a way most
friendly and explainable to parents.  Not necessarily 100% anally correct.

and

http://www.lego.com/parents/overview/sysaction.asp

Especially the second one is interesting. There is still word "town"
mentioned, but since it also mentions divers (which means the page is at
least from last year) it most probably refers to Town Jr.

I think when they say "Town" there they mean "City Centre."  Note that
that page also uses "Ships" instead of "Boats."  But again, just that's
another page for parents, who don't necessarily need the 100% anally
correct categorizations -- they just need to understand the basic ideas
so they can figure out what to buy.

Further, town and other (supposed to be officially) town related themes
(like divers, Xtreme and Resq) are being mentioned as having the same
hierarchical level.

Yeah, they've been doing that sort of thing a lot lately (the past 3 years)
since they started down the themes-must-be-tantalizing path.  They promote
names like "Extreme Team" and "Insectoids" because "town" and "space" are
boring and not memorable at shows.  (That's my take on it.)

This is confusing...:-)

Yeah, they don't seem to be as careful anymore as they used to be about
nitpicky details.  Maybe this is good because it's a sign that they have
more effective marketing.  Or maybe this is bad because it's a sign that
no one really understands the systems anymore.  Your guess is as good as
mine.  But one thing's for sure -- it's rarely consistent year-to-year --
only by studying trends over the years do the relationships show up.

At any rate, the Arctic numbers are smack-dab in the middle of the LEGO
System Town range (just like every other Town theme in the past 20 years).
If that doesn't officially qualify them as Town sets, then nothing does,
IMHO.

--Todd