 General / 11271
Re: COMPLETE LIST OF NEW SETS FOR 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 02:09:11 GMT

onyx <onyx@flash.net> wrote:
In lugnet.general, Huw Millington writes:
OK, OK, the scans are gone.

Personally, I find this entire scene completely repulsive.. I love this site, I
love this community and I enjoy and appreciate every bit of effort that is put
into it by everyone (my member dues are in the mail!), I also realize that we
are basically on your dime, Todd...

I agree here completely, as I'm sure most know.  I've been here
since almost the beginning and Lugnet is something I hope will
continue to grow and fulfill even more of our AFOL needs and want.
Heck, I still want a Lugnet logo baseball cap and t-shirt.

That having been said...

But, from an encompassing and objective view of all posts re: this thread, what
this little maelstrom appears to have been rubs me the wrong way...
more or less what it has all boiled down to is the two people with the most
pull here (say what you like, but it *is* todd's server, domain, etc and we all
know that you can pretty much view todd and suz as "todd and suz", an item)
bullying Huw into "voluntarily" reversing his actions...

I agree with this.  I don't find it as "repulsive" as you probably
do, mainly because I'd like to think Huw wouldn't have reversed
himself if he didn't agree in some way with Todd and especially
Suz, since she's the one who has been most outspoken on this issue
(I know I wouldn't have).

I was really upset by Suz's post stating "this isn't an issue for a vote, you
have to take action now"... basically guilt-tripping Huw into what *she*
believes is the right thing to do... and because she doesn't see it (or doesn't
*want* to see it) as an arguable issue, she didn't feel we as a community
should be polled for a consensus...

Well, I agree with Larry that this was a decision Huw had to make,
although I also think that if the decision Huw wanted to make was to
do what lots of people wanted done, that's his business.

I also don't see this as an arguable issue, mainly because I don't
see this as a big deal.  Maybe if the scans included all this
supposed "insider" information.

Then again, if I were inclined to freak out about these things
falling into the "wrong hands" I don't know if I'd make a
distinction between one lone consumer with a stack of them in a
closet or a webmaster posting scans of them on his site.

I just feel like we all signed up to be a part of a community whose terms of
use did not state "your words and actions will be monitored and approved of by
the creator/administrator"... something about the duplicitous nature of saying
"I'm not telling you what you should do, I'm just telling you that I think you
know the right thing to do" really rubbed me the wrong way..

I understand what you're saying here....

And I firmly believe that this issue and its resolution might have been vastly
different if it were only me (or scott arthur, tamy teed, hell, even the
lovable johnathan wilson) who posed the idea for Huw to acquiesce

Me too.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/