 General / 10691
10690  |  10692
Subject:
Lego Promoting "The Phantom Menace"...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 02:22:00 GMT

Hi everyone,

I was catching up on the news and noticed this article about "The Phantom
Menace" being re-relased to benefit charity (a pretty good idea) and notice a
reference to Lego in it.  Does anyone have any ideas about how Lego is going
to help advertise?

I'm including the link to the artice (Yahoo News) and the text of the article
(I apologize in advance if anyone doesn't like included articles).  The
reference to Legoland Systems Inc. is in the third paragraph from the bottom.

Have fun,
Steven Broughton

-------From Yahoo News--------

'Phantom' Spirit at Box Office

By Dade Hayes

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Don't mothball that Darth Maul costume just yet. ``Star
Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace'' is returning to theaters next week.

But this is no scheme by Fox to get the picture's domestic gross up to a nice,
round $500 million.

On the contrary, it's a one-week run to benefit local charities selected by at
least 755 theater owners in 350 cities across North America. Every dollar
collected from Dec. 3-9 will go to one of 177 charities.

Fox and franchise producer Lucasfilm say it will be the first time 100% of a
major studio film's grosses go to charity.

``We thought it would be a great opportunity to help local causes, and a
wonderful way to end the 'Star Wars' theatrical run,'' said Lucasfilm
president Gordon Radley.

Originally released May 19, the picture played until early November. The total
to that point was $427.7 million, making it easily the biggest movie of the
year.

Few doubt Fox could have wrung a few more million out of it. But Tom Sherak,
chairman of Fox's domestic film group, said he wanted to try something
different.

Film executives ``are always looked at as these cold-hearted money-grabbers,''
he said. ``And here we have an opportunity to really help out now. Anything we
give to these causes is going to make a difference. It's a good feeling.''

Newspapers in all but a handful of participating cities plan to donate ad
space listing show times and the name of the local charity. All of the top
theater chains are taking part. Hasbro Inc. and Legoland Systems Inc. will
help advertise the limited run.

Fox and Lucasfilm picked a release slot that's shaping up as a breather
between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The only other new films out Dec. 3 will
be platform bows of Sony's ``The End of the Affair'' and Miramax's ``Holy
Smoke.'' Neither picture shares the target audience of ``Star Wars.''

Sherak said the one-week total will be added to the official total of
``Episode I.'' But he has no clear idea what kind of response the charity
effort will get.