 General / 10421
Re: Very Long super ramble...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 00:16:31 GMT

[X-post lugnet.people Please f-up accordingly ]

Timothy Culberson <t_c_c@yahoo.com> writes:
I've been part of the online lego community since sometime in 1995
or 1996....I'm not exactly sure.

Same here, but I didn't participate much in the beginning.

For you other old timers out there (some of which, of course, are much
older than I am)

Heh, I'm an "old-timer" younger than you :)

so then I found what is now known as RTL....standing
for rec.toys.lego.  It was great...almost 100 posts most days....very
good for newsgroups at that time.

I found RTL overwhelming when I first saw it.  I guess I was kind of
impatient...

...Some really interesting things happened as time went on...

LEGO erected an official web site....and it was garbage to say the
least.

How true.  Hence the links to www.lego.com that say "not really worth
visiting"
What I think is pretty bad is that when they changed the site, they
didn't put up forwarding pages at the old URLs, for example the old URL
for the "Fair Play" page now gives the "cute (not my opinion, but I don't
know how to word it otherwise)" 404.

...There was great sadness the day that news spread all across the
internet that James Jessiman, the one and only original creator of
L-Draw...a progam most current online LEGO users are more than
familiar with, had passed away.

I remember we thought it was a cruel joke at first.  Then there was the
trouble of trying to figure out what year James was born for the memorial
images...

It was interesting when one day James happened to e-mail me in
response to a post I had made in RTL with a
little tip about his L-Draw program.

James was very helpful when I started using LDraw.  He made almost all
the pieces I requested...

...What ever happened to that "send the minifigs on a trip all aournd
the world" "minifig world tour" project anyhow.....?

I wonder so too.  Traffic on the listserve dissappeared long before the
L-CAD list moved to LUGNET.  The banner is still on CLSOTW...

Mr. Todd lehman's official announcement and long-term plan for
what we now have as a common household term, the one and only Lugnet.

I used to check www.lugnet.com daily to see if the first page (basically
a logo/under construction image) had changed.

Lugnet shook the online Lego commnity like a giant quake.

Yeah, now I read 120+ email messages a day instead of glancing at RTL
every day...

See, the other day, I emerged from one of my temporary dark ages.
Alot of things have been happening in my life since about last June.  I
graduated from High School...I worked all summer, I lost my time to
look at a single piece of Lego...I moved away from home to go to
college....I've been swamped with college so much that I haven't had
time to look at a LEGO piece - even as I write this useless piece of
binary bandwidth waste I should be doing homework.  When I moved away
from home I left it all behind - all my LEGO I mean.

I'll be doing the same (ie, graduating/moving) this coming summer, but I
plan on taking at least a little bit of my collection along.

I bought the 7414 Star Wars Naboo Fighter at a 20% discount at
Zellers. ...
I don't know what it was, but the Naboo Fighter had an impressivly
nice and amazing design.  The set was actually a decent size.  I
realize that Star Wars was the best thing that TLG ever did for itself.

Hmm, the Naboo Fighter was one of my least favorite SW sets.  So I
rebuilt it entirely:

http://chuh.org/Students/Bram-Lambrecht/LEGO/models.html

Are you STILL reading this??

Well, to delete all the extra lines, I had to read this far :)
--Bram