 Gaming / Starship / 772
Re: Info for adventurers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 05:17:22 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, Andrew Engstrom wrote:

More pages?! Wanna guess how many pages I already have on that website alone? The idea was to add detail, but keep it simple. I see what you mean by having a bigger directory, but the Force tells me that would be too much for just a small detail add on. > --Avery

No, not more pages, just more images. You can do that, can’t you? I know some free-page sites require you to use a certain format. Though I do remember Angelfire had an option to convert a page to full html. If you do know html, then I’d say that’s the way to go.

In the case you don’t know the language, I have an html primer somewheres around this computer that you might find useful. And then if you’re REALLY into the language, you can do like me and buy one of the Visual Quickstart tutorials/guides available at your local bookstore (I prefer B&N). And there are html tutorials out there that you can get for free, just search any search engine.

And ya, it would be nice to see that program you dug up. Might give me some ideas, though if I’m not allowed to change the look of the page, I probably won’t use the page itself on my site.

Maybe you could add to the list without putting up any more images? Like, if my team brought in a shipment of fuzzy mirror dice and 8-track tapes, you could just add those in. With no pictures. And rare or unique items could be listed in another section, too, like, Wirt’s Leg or Luke’s Lightsaber. The ultimate shopping experience would be a shipyard! Someone could buy a ship (probably civillian market) and use that in adventures. Oh, the possibilities...

Andrew

Well, to modify the page, just open it up in an html editor and yadda yadda... Of course, give credit where credit is due and make sure that all that computed planetary data, which comes from years of work by a list of people, is credited to the Stargen program. I just leave the pages the way they are because I can’t think of a better format to break the info down easily and comprehensively. Looks good to me... However, it is not complete, so you could use it a reference and add enough of your own spice to justify making your own pages with planetary data.

I used to know HTML, years ago. I am not up to learning it at this time, so I stick with geocities easy and ready web pages for dummies. I still have a lot of space, so I could add more images, and if any adventurers bring in eight tracks and fuzzy Belville dice, well...

I am planning on adding other commodoties, commodities, stuff for sale such as resources, ores, etc. I had thought of having ships for sale, the only problem is that they could not leave the sector unless registered. But, that is not a big problem. I think I will play around with that idea some more. I had shelved it as I was undertaking other projects at the time, but those projects are either completed now or on hold. It would be cool to have star fighters, transports, shuttles, etc. for sale and use in the sector.

Glad I only have two sectors like this. If I start a 3rd, it’ll have to be of a different nature...

Thanks for the ideas on the items for use in the adventures, I think I will look it this.

-Avery