 Gaming / Starship / 17
Re: Starship Bible (was: Types of Sectors)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 15:24:26 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, Andrew Engstrom writes:
It's interesting to see how people can arrive at the same
conclusions/ideas/inspirations completely independently.

Yes, it is interesting sometimes.

...FYI, in the game Traveller, the premise is that all the humans descended
from earlier space explorers from Earth, but that thousands (millions?) of
years have passed since they colonized the distant worlds of the game, so
the concept of their ancestral home is a faded and all-but-forgotten myth.
There are several human races, each who consider a different world to be home.

...In Battlestar Galactica, in super ancient times there were a number of
tribes of humans from one homeworld.  Trying to remember now, I think it was
13 tribes, and the homeworld was doomed.  So they all went off in different
directions.  Then a great war broke out with the bad-guys, and twelve of the
tribes (who had found each other during the course of the war) were all-but
wiped out.  The few survivors built a fleet of refugee ships protected by
the last remaining Battlestar and set out to find the missing (and almost
mythic) tribe (if it even existed).  The rumor was that the missing tribe
may have settled on a place called Earth...

That's how they handled the idea of there being human societies elsewhere in
the universe.  Of course we could handle it in any number of ways.  We could
say that there was a common ancestral home, or that each planet with Terrans
was a seed world for an ancient race, or that maybe a humaniod form is a
common evolutionary result in planetary systems of a certain age, etc.

Personally, I like the idea of maybe not quite having an explanation.  It
could be one of the mysteries of the Starship galaxy.  Each society in the
game might have its theories, beliefs, and myths about the subject.  But
maybe in the end, no one really knows why there are humans everywhere.

-Hendo