 Gaming / Starship / 10
Re: Starship Bible (was: Types of Sectors)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 13:23:31 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, Richard Parsons writes:

<snip-a-dee-doo-da>

I can see how freeform might work in an existing, detailed and jointly
understood setting (ie rpg-ing in the Star Trek universe, or the Star Wars
universe) where all the participants are subscribed to a large body of
published material on what is possible and what is acceptable, but here in
Starship, we have no such bible. Not having a bible as such confers benefits
in terms of encountering many new ways to think about things. It als confers
the limitation that we cannot assume that we all have the same basic
understanding of what is possible and what is likely to happen in any given
situation, so we need for the SMs to take that responsibility.

Or not, obviously ;-)

And its very nice to be here on Lugnet!

Richard
Still baldly going...

Yes, it is nice to be on good ol' Lugnet!

And why don't we have a "bible"?  The SMs have to put together their sectors
from nothing, so there is certainly no lack of imagination in this group!
Some sort of Galactic Encyclopedia is in order.  It could help describe
cultures, governments, resources, technologies, etc. etc.  I volunteer to
lead this effort if I can have a  few voluneer assistants ;-)

Here's how I think it would go:
We start with the sectors page and go down the list.  Develop a format for
describing culture, gov't, etc. Once we have this down pat, all we have to
do is use our imaginations to fill out the descriptions of places.  We would
get all our information directly from the SM, and the SM would need to
approve it before it is published.  Then we move on to the empty sectors,
JumpGates, the Galactic Core, and all that.  I'm sure Hendo can provide us
with some "info" on those things.

So howsabout it?
~Andrew~