 Gaming / Starship / 11
Re: Starship Bible (was: Types of Sectors)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 14:57:03 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, Andrew Engstrom writes:
Yes, it is nice to be on good ol' Lugnet!

Yup.  :)  Already, it would have been easy to miss Richard's post to this
thread (buried deeply on the other board), but here it is easy to notice.

...I am just waking up, so I may reply more to this later... A few initial
thoughts:

And why don't we have a "bible"?  The SMs have to put together their sectors
from nothing, so there is certainly no lack of imagination in this group!
Some sort of Galactic Encyclopedia is in order.  It could help describe
cultures, governments, resources, technologies, etc. etc.  I volunteer to
lead this effort if I can have a  few voluneer assistants ;-)

I recall Dan asking for everyone to write up a timeline for their societies
history.  This could also be included in this sort of effort.

Here's how I think it would go:
We start with the sectors page and go down the list.  Develop a format for
describing culture, gov't, etc.

Actually, I already have a 62 page manual on the history and governments of
Valyance.  And that only covers until 1989 VC.  A hundred years have passed
since then, in the Starship version of Valyance.

Once we have this down pat, all we have to
do is use our imaginations to fill out the descriptions of places.  We would
get all our information directly from the SM, and the SM would need to
approve it before it is published.

There could be an issue of webspace.  Currently, more than half of my
available space is being used (and it is 90% Starship).  With new Ships
being registered regularly, I expect the site to grow.  I can add to how
much space I have, but it will increase my monthly bill...  If SMs developed
a lengthy Atlas or Almanac for their homeworlds, maybe they could post on
their own sites?  If so, we could just reformat the Sector Registry page on
my site to show links to this background info.  Just an idea.  Maybe that
would not convey the Bible-esque image you have for this?

Then we move on to the empty sectors,
JumpGates, the Galactic Core, and all that.  I'm sure Hendo can provide us
with some "info" on those things.

Curiously, the SS Galaxy does not yet have much in the way of alien species.
It seems that most of the major societies are all Terran (homo sapiens)[1].
Richard has his alien fleet, and Dan has two alien vessels.  I think one or
two others have mentioned their crews have a few non-Terrans.  But the vast
majority of home sectors are controlled by humans.  If we really wanted to
develop an SS Bible, it might be interesting to develop some more alien
races and cultures.  Each SM could come up with one or two or three, perhaps
[2].

As for the empty sectors, I would rather not describe too much about them
(if anything), because when an SM claims one, they should have the freedom
to define it however they wish.

My 2 bricks so far...
-GM Hendo

[1] This reminds me of the backstory to things like Traveller or Battlestar
Galactica, where human colonists became so disconnected over time, that they
are unaware of their true origins, yet somehow when the begin again to
explore space they find more humans everywhere.

[2] Actually, I have plans for an alien species, but I haven't revealed them
yet because it relates to one of my plotlines...mwuahhahahaha!