 Gaming / 589
Re: RPG PBEM
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 19:13:46 GMT

Thanks for all the help, guys... I really liked Will's page, btw. While I must
admit I am a little iffy when it comes to mixing 'technology' or even magic
into a historical medieval world, I really liked the quest for the crystals
series; I think the picture you had of the Bull soldier being engulfed in
flames is one of the best lego images I've found on the net. Very cool.

As for the PBEM, I think a major reason why this could work would be because
the players would not be playing as the mod's personal characters, but their
own. Let's say (just because after reading the page, Will's story is still
fresh in my head), that Will becomes the moderator. Unlike what I think some
of you expected, where maybe I would choose to be Michael Briggs, another
player decided to play as Locke, and somebody else chose Electra Mace, just to
vary things up. Then Will, as the mod, would play Vincent Gage and all his
minions to fight the 3 questers.

This WOULD be a good system since the available characters are already
developed, but it has 2 major flaws that cannot be ignored:

1) The actions of the questers could possibly (as an example) maybe kill
vincent, or maybe Michael dies in an early battle. I don't think Will would
appreciate other people taking control of his personal characters, and then
killing them ;)

2) While the characters are already developed, it's not really fun. The
questers should creat entirely new characters at the start of the game, since
the fun the thing is to watch them progress and develop their skills and
weapons as they go through monsters and treasure.

The solution to this problem is really quite simple. Before the game starts,
we all e-mail the moderator and tell him/her  in detail how are characters
should look, what weapons they carry, etc. Of course for this to go right we
might limit the amount of starting accessories to 3, not including capes or
something like that which is just added on to look cool.

So at the start of the game, instead of sending Will "I want to play as
Michael" I would send:

Name of Character: Slayer
Make: Darth Maul head, black cape, shiny sword, breastplate, visor helmet
thing with red dragon/wings on it.
History: (here would be a paragraph or so of flavor text to give the other
players when the questers first meet)

So my 3 items were the helmet, breastplate, and shiny sword. Maybe later into
the game I'll find a big dragon shield, and maybe I can get my hands on a big
barded warhorse. Of course I was very detailed, saying the head I wanted,
etc... this is another reason the mod would have to have a ton of blocks - he
has to accomodate the players and their foes and extra items/NPCs they run
across, and the world they live in! (no small task, but one deserving of great
respect no doubt!)

This isn't to say that the mod couldn't have some fun, and throw in certain
elements of the castle world people have come to know... maybe the questers
meet in the bloodstone inn in hellfire. Shavas is hanging around in the back
corner. The moderator could modify the description from Will's site just a
little bit to get: "In one smoky corner of the near-empty inn sits a hooded
man, wrapped in a long brown cloak. A bulge from underneath the cloak gives
away the location of a hidden weapon." Maybe the questers go in and have a
couple beers with Shavas (this is assuming either that Will is the mod or has
talked beforehand with the mod, so that his character can be used). Since we
don't want Shavas to die or do anything that would really tear apart Will's
story, maybe the mod just keeps in mind something like "Any quester that
attacks Shavas is automatically blocked and hit back with a poisoned knife.
They lose 2 health points and must find a healer in the town within 5 turns or
will go into a coma from the poison. Shavas makes a hasty escape through a
nearby window before the other questers can even draw their arms to defend
their fallen comrade." There we go! A special character most of the community
knows is included, and at the same time is insured against any catastophe that
might happen. THEN maybe...

The questers get rooms and during the night are attacked by 3 Scythe Blade
Assassins. A clue on one of the bodies (which must be searched to be found, of
course! ;) sends them on a little adventure! (and I realize that I am throwing
together elements from many people's stories here, but please bear with me,
it's just an example!)

So I think that a clever mod can find MANY ways of keeping the readers and the
questers very occupied!