 Gaming / 1862
Re: IndyLUG BrickQuest Game
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:06:55 GMT

In lugnet.gaming, Peter F. Guenther wrote:
   Very cool! I have to say it’s kind of weird to look at others’ pictures and see printouts of my stuff in the background, but hey, that’s why I wrote the game in the first place...

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1058872 Nice standard there... is that a Diablo-style shrine of some sort, or just a “Hey! Evil in here!” marker? I really like the green-on-green squares method... I wouldn’t have thought of that.

It’s just a “Beware, danger lurks there” type of marker. I played around with getting the grid pattern onto the terrain. I originally thought that I would have the adventurers travel outside for a while before entering the dungeon, but time ran out on me. I tried going with a sand green/green pattern, but liked the tile/stud method better. The brickruler would have worked just the same, but I think this visually helps players alot.

   I’ve been working on a few other module styles. Would a baseplate-based module be easier for most people than a brickplate-based one? Would a room-based module system be easier and allow more creativity?

Personally for me it doesn’t matter. I had originally designed this for modularity, but realized that my LEGO interests are too stretched to keep them together for long periods of time. When we play again and if I build the dungeon again, I will most likely just build entire rooms on baseplates (using 8 x 16 baseplates for corridors).

Were the tall walls a problem? I only use full-height walls on one or two sides now so players can reach in more easily. I waver on using the 4x4 plate on figure bases too... it makes them easier to stand but tougher to place sometimes.

The tall wals did not seem to affect players being able to move and see their characters. It was probably helpful that only one corridor was less than 8 studs wide. The 4 x 4 plates did cause a few problems (especially when descending the stairs entering the dungeon).

Awesome carnivorous plants: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1058874 Are you going to publish stats of what you used?

Perhaps, sometime in the future. I sort of made some of the stats up on the spot (to help gameplay go smoother)

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1058884 was this a fountain of blood or of healing cherry kool-aid?

(sound of wall crumbling from entrance) Oh yeah! Healing Kool-Aid.

   http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1058887 that skull just screams “secret door!” to any knowing adventurer... the question is whether you’ll like what’s behind it.

Actually there was only one secret door and it was not in this room. The box behind the skull housed a flashing light that made the eyes blink.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1058889 conveniently for any would-be plunderers, the wizard has foolishly left his healing and mana potions out of arm’s reach...

And was quickly plundered by the players upon entering the room.......

Did you play with the whole setup out in advance, or gradually reveal as players moved along?

Gradually revealed.

I love lots of the other details, like the chair in the orc room (orcs eat bananas?) and the lurking water beastie. Was there a them or plot to the adventure that you’re willing to share?

The chair was inspired by Shaun Sullivans Brikington Manor furniture. Of course Orcs eat bananas (especially when you have little other LEGO food). The plot was to rescue the princess that had been taken away by the evil wizard. Unoriginal I know, but I wanted a simplistic story for our first outing. Defeat the wizard, figure out how to unlock the magical jail cell, and keep your character alive (though the gathering gold never really played an important role, it could if we kept it going as ongoing scenarios with the same players)........

If you like the BrickQuest rules they’re easily adaptable to open (non-dungeon) play, medieval at least... just use rulers instead of squares. I’m dealing with this explicitly in the next version of the rules, but the version’s not ready enough to release yet.

Awesome level of detail! Far more than what I usually manage to pull together...

Peter

Thanks! I can’t wait for the next incarnation. I had even thought of adapting the rules to a moonbase/space (non flight) quest, but haven’t figured out how to balance it all yet.

-Jeramy