 Gaming / 1564
Re: A Useful Tool for the Sector Moderator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 21:21:26 GMT

In lugnet.gaming, Andrew Engstrom wrote:
In lugnet.gaming, Lindsay Frederick Braun wrote:
Hi,

I've found the following little helpful bit
of freeware for those SMs who like using XYZ
space and loads of stars.  It's called 3D Star
Map (ver. 1.3), and can be acquired at:

http://www.psyberion.com/sauron/techdev/swdownload.html

It's taken all the long math out of my distance
calculations, and really has been helpful to the
travelers as well.  I recommend it heartily if,
like me, you've got a severe "astrophysics realism"
fetish and like tossing stars into 3D space.

(Oh, and I don't know if it's Mac-friendly at all.)

all best

LFB (-3,7)

Cool.  I DL'd it and tried it out -- great tool, but it's gonna take me a little
while to learn how to use it ;-)

Thanks for the interesting post!
Andrew

   And of course a link to basic information
   about spectral classes and types:

   http://lheawww.gsfc.nasa.gov/users/allen/spectral_classification.html

   I should have put this in first but, hey, there you go.
   You can actually get XYZ Gliese data online too, if
   you go looking, so you can plot absolutely huge XYZ
   starmaps if you want.  The problem I find is that you
   need to "correct" because any Earth-centered data will
   be very heavy on brighter stars the farther you go
   out--a star the size of A Centaurus C (Proxima) would
   be virtually unfindable if it were 100 or so light
   years out instead of 3.9.

   (I also add in brown dwarfs [Spectral Class L] and very
   small red stars [M5-M8] to my maps, because though we
   can't see them, they've been shown to exist.)

   best

   LFB

   XFUT set -> .gaming.starship