 Gaming / 1517
1516  |  1518
Subject:
BrickQuest Modular Dungeon System
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.castle, lugnet.build, lugnet.org.glug
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:00:11 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I ran four 2-hour sessions of BrickQuest at GenCon 2003 Indy and it was very successful! All who played it had a great time; there were a couple D&Ders who liked the rules so much they were going to play it with a grid and miniatures.

I made a few changes to the rules halfway through the Con for the sake of game balance, and I’ve made a couple changes and additions since. I’ll have rules etc. up for comment soon, but in the meantime I wanted to show how I’m building my dungeons.

Basically, the dungeon is built with four types of modular components: -Floors with 4x4 squares marked. Under the level of plates is a level of 1x2 Technic beams for connecting and 2x2 bricks for support. Under that is a large brick or bricks.

-Walls. These connect using the 2x2 brick with Technic pin. They’re 7 bricks high, basically so that I could build them cheaply. They’re built with SPUDS and an arch on top.

-Corridor Walls. These have to be built a little differently; the pins have to be offset since they meet other walls at a corner.

-Special Elements. For one dungeon I had a large portcullis-wall piece; for the one pictured here I had an entrance door. Both used a healing-potion fountain built into the wall as well, but this photo only shows the back of it.

I’ll get photos of the unique elements, like the skeleton-hanging wall modules, the fountain, etc., as soon as I can.

For more information see http://www.brickquest.com/brickquest/modules.htm The page is a little image-heavy. There are links there to instructions for building the main components.

Please let me know what you think of this system!