 Gaming / 1515
1514  |  1516
Subject:
Evil Stevie's Pirate Game Success at Gen Con
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.gaming, lugnet.org.glug
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:37:00 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

This will be a brief report. More later in this thread (including
hopefully a link to an extensive writeup of the games).

ESPG was a smashing (almost literally - we had several hurricane
accidents) success. We ran over 20 hours of ESPG. We ran two 4+ hour
battle games (I think one ended up running about 5 hours), a 16 hour,
and a 4 hour campaign game. The 16 hour campaign game started with 25
players (up from a published max of 16 - we had 25 cutters). The Johnny
Thunder clone factory was pressed into service to provide enough
swabbies (this game started with about 300 minifigs distributed between
ships and islands). We had to turn away people at several times because
we simply didn't have ships for them to use. Sunday morning's 8:00 AM
game (after Saturday's game ending at 1:30 AM Sunday) was a smaller 4
hour campaign game. I initially capped it at 12, though we did allow a
few late arrivals. Between our exhaustion, having one fewer GM
assistants, and the shorter time, I wanted to try and make sure we gave
a quality experience to our players.

From the thanks and comments we received after games (and several times
while wandering the dealers rooms etc.) I know we did an excellent job.

The gaming track definitely proved that brick games have a wide age
appeal. I'm not sure how young the youngest playing any of the games
was, but every game had players under 10, and from what I saw, they all
had a good time, and often did pretty well. One young girl who was
eliminated early from the Mechaton tournament was quietly entertaining
herself at another table with 3 LEGO mechs.

We had a very nice location, right next to the game room HQ (which
provided some extra visibility to them - they also told us several times
that they were receiving many questions about our games). The biggest
downside to it was that our floor space was not quite as large as we
could have used (though much bigger and there wouldn't have been enough
interraction between ships), and it was a bit of a traffic area which
meant people walking through during setup times (people did stay out
while games were in progress).

A few highlights of the game:

- Chris Weeks's son, Garret, blew the head off the islander statue,
rousing the islanders. They sent canoes to another island to bring more
forces, and also sent canoes to summon an imperial ship that had set
sail to deal with another situation. Meanwhile, more and more pirates
kept joining the fray. One ship had also stirred up the mummies, so his
ship (which had been degunned by the mummie priest's first "LASER" shot
- the mummy leader has a staff that can be used like a cannon) was
continuing to take fire. Several of the pirates ended up forming an
alliance and eventually winning free of the island while capturing the
imperial ship and the LASER target. Garret scuttled his ship (leaving a
wizardess the islanders had captured no where to go so she teleported
onto one of the other ships). One player quietly sailed into the fray,
stole much of the treasure, and sailed away.

- One player of the big coalition kept kicking the sea monster. As a
result, the sea monster got free moves that allowed it to keep up with
his ship as they left the area.

FUT: lugnet.gaming