 Gaming / 1129
Re: d20 BrikWars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 21:16:57 GMT

William Movish wrote:

I know a lot of people have reservations about the d20 system.  It is far
from perfect, and has its own peculiar brand of illogic (hey, paladin, why
dont you put on the sorcerer's Cloak of Charisma so you can heal more
damage) but still manages to do what d&d has always done: provide decent
rules for heroic fantasy.

And despite its flaws, it has the single most important feature of any
gaming system:  it's fun to play.  The new combat rules are more detailed
and infinately more interesting than previous versions of d&d.  They are
just detailed enough, in fact, that my friends and I always use lego
miniatures during combat, yet it still doesn't feel like just a tabletop
wargame (half our group likes wargames, the other half doesn't, but we all
like the new d&d combat).

I'm not sure more complex combat systems are really the way to go. While
I feel a combat system needs enough detail to make combat interesting,
too much detail makes combats take too long.

d20 Castle World sounds like an interesting proposition, though I fear the
logistics involved.  Especially the part where one would have to get
everyone to agree on something.  But it still might be a fun experiment.

And, for anyone who's interested, the entire d20 core rules (Player's
Handbook, DM Guide and Monster Manual) can be found online here:

http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/srd.html

Hmm, I was somehow under the impression that games couldn't be published
with the core rules. Well, I will have to spend some time and read
these.

P.S.  No one in my gaming group is actually so gauche as to change clothes
with the sorcerer for reasons of pure game mechanics, but we do joke about
it all the time.

Why shouldn't you? Something's broken in the rules if players feel
artificial constraints like this. While I understand it's hard to make
rules perfect, and sometimes players should take on artificial
constraints, the need for them should be minimized. I know if there was
a real life situation which was comparable, and my compatriot didn't
lend me the cloak, I'd feel a little miffed (and part of the comparable
situation is something which creates the situation where my well being
is comparably crucial to my compatriot's well being).

Frank