 Gaming / 1127
Re: d20 BrikWars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 16:02:08 GMT

Mike Rayhawk wrote:
So I thought I'd bring the conversation over here to fun.gaming to see if
anybody sees some hidden potential in this that I don't.

I think I agree with your analysis.

Secondly, I hate to see the brick-oriented RPG thread die - who's up for
putting together "D20 Castle World" ?

I'm still mulling about the idea of a brick oriented RPG, but I really
feel like staying away from D20. If D20 was being published similar to
GURPS where you have a genre agnostic core rule book and then separately
purchasable genre books, I might be more interested, but as it is, it
costs $60 to buy the core rule books, and then you get a lot of fantasy
stuff of potentially no interest (to be honest, if I want to do D&D type
gaming, I'll stick with what I've already got).

Personally, I have left the real of character class based games (well,
ok, I would still be willing to run the game system I've mentioned that
used the normal distribution, but in a way, while that uses character
classes, it is sort of different since it uses them more as meta skills
[a mage gets no combat capabilities from their mage level, they get all
their combat abilities from their fighter level, this is different from
the D&D multi-class model where you do get hit points at least from all
your classes]). In my brief looks at D20, it looks like it's still mired
in this model, though it looks like they've expanded the skills a lot.

Of course I'm also struggling with what to do for a game. I would like
to run something which would attract players, but I would prefer to not
touch D20 with an 11 foot pole, don't feel Hero works well for non-super
hero (though I haven't looked at the latest edition to see if they have
addressed some of the issues I saw with it for lower power levels), and
am not quite comfortable with GURPS. Of course my ideal world is to run
something I've designed or customized myself.

Frank