 Games / 261
Re: Medieval Sea Battles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.games, lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:48:50 GMT

I am still working on the rest of the rules.  Archery and spear ranges between
ships and such.  Normal combat between crews and boarding actions.  For Fire
Markers I will be using the Trans-Orange fire pieces in a base.

I'm not that familiar with Evil Stevie's but the whole thing looks fairly
consistent and logical.

I just had an idea about movement/weapon range - incorporating a probability
factor into the calculations of weapon range.  For example, a arrow's range is,
lets say, ten inches.  However, it would be possible for the arrow to go
farther, altho less likely.  When a player decides to shoot an arrow, they can
opt for the arrow to go farther than its range, and then roll a dice to see if
their archer can actually make it that far.  Something like 50% (3/6) the arrow
will not go farther than the range, 35% (2/6) the arrow will go 2 inches
farther, 15% (1/6) the arrow will go four inches farther.

It would make combat a bit more complicated, but would introduce more chance
into the mix - and i think some more excitement (ie, The Englishmen's ace archer
takes aim at the Viking captain fourteen inches away - well outside a bow's
range, and by a miracle, is able to hit him! Englishmen cheer)

The same principle could be used for any movement - ie, a ship in trouble could
take a chance to doubletime it out of danger, or doubletime to catch up to a
ship.  Men swimming can doubletime their swimming if being chased by a shark.

However, seeing as I have never played BrickWars, feel free to disregard
everything I've said.

-Lenny