 Castle / 19595
19594  |  19596
Subject:
Medieval Sea Battles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:23:04 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

NOTE: I TRIED SEVERAL TIMES TO POST THIS MESSAGE TO LUGNET.PIRATES. I KEPT
GETTING AN ERROR MESSAGE THAT LUGNET.PIRATES NEWSGROUP DID NOT EXIST.  WHATS UP?

Awhile back I made up my 3 Viking Longboats:

It was my intent to use them in a Lego battle of a Viking raid.  Three ships,
each with 40+ crew would make a great raid and game.  I have not been able to
play it out though.

Recently I watched 'The Vikings' for the umptenth time and decided to have a go
at it.  I made up 2 European type Cogs based on 16 stud wide hulls with 2 center
sections.  (We have our monthly meeting this coming Saturday and I will take pix
then)  One came out 45 studs long and the other 42 studs long.  My Viking
Longboats are 60, 55, and 52 studs long, one is 14 studs wide and the other 2
are 12 studs wide.

I have made some notes on gaming this sea battle:

TURNS:
1.  Announce Turn, plot Movement.
2.  Announce Wind direction and Speed.
3.  Move, Crew Actions.
4.  Archery Fire, Thrown Spears, Close Combat.
5.  All other Crew Actions
6.  Damage Control, i.e. putting out fires, etc.
7.  Sharks.  Sharks move 6", Vikings swim 3", all others swim 2".
8.  Sharks eat.

A medieval Cog is a basic Class 6 ship = 16 stud wide with 2 center sections, 1
mast, speed 14" as in Evil Stevie's Pirate rules.

A Viking Longboat's speed equals 1" movement for each pair of rowers (1 rower on
each side of Longboat, rounded up).  That is if there are 10 rowers on one side
and 11 on the other side it will still equal 11 pairs of rowers.  If there are
more rowers on one side than 1, then equal out the number of rowers per side as
possible.  Add 2" to rowers speed if the sail is used.  Example: If there are 10
pairs of rowers and the Longboat's sail is down then the movement of the
Longboat is 12"  A Longboat's speed using the sail only is 12".

Fire:  Damage Control:  When a ship is on fire from fire-arrows or any other
happening, assign up to 6 Crewmen/minifigs to put out the fire.  For each
minifig, roll 1d6.  On a roll of 1-3 the fire continues, on a roll of 4-6 remove
one fire marker.  In any ONE turn, if all attempts to put out the fire fail, add
1 new fire marker per 3 existing fire markers.

At the end of each turn, for every 3 fire markers still in effect, the Ship/
Longboat loses 1 Hull point.

I am still working on the rest of the rules.  Archery and spear ranges between
ships and such.  Normal combat between crews and boarding actions.  For Fire
Markers I will be using the Trans-Orange fire pieces in a base.

Any suggestions, comments?

Don