 Games / 177
Re: New game Legator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.games
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 02:30:09 GMT

Hi Gary,

I've been reading your progress with interest.

Caching the z-buffers is a nice trick. But what is the advantage of doing it
per piece? I would cache the whole frame's z-buffer for pieces that were not
moving, and composite just the dynamic part. It takes a little longer to
switch context, but that shouldn't be huge.

I have found that mouse picking on the whole model is plenty fast--that is,
computing ray intersections with bounding boxes for all pieces is many times
faster than rendering. But my rendering speed is close to 3 frames per
second (yuck) for a small model.

(Another neat trick for part selection if your architecture (OpenGL?)
permits it is to use a unique "color" for every part and render them,
producing a lookup table.)

My intuition is that the best set of tradeoffs involve a form of axis
aligned BSP and z-buffering, but for now in BrickDraw3D I'm working on
eliminating non-visible polygons before blasting the entire model to a
z-buffer. There are always a LOT of non-visible polygons!

Specifically, I'm working on portals for each piece: which triangles are
potentially visible through each face of a cube; If that face of the cube is
obscured, don't draw them.