 Fun / Gaming / 754
Re: New fantasy battle rules....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 12:39:34 GMT

Tony Rowe wrote:
Close, Robin... but not close enough.  D&D was first developed from
Chainmail about 30 years ago.  In around 1970 was the first fantasy
Chainmail game that started the concept of role-playing in a wargame... and
creating some new form of gaming in the process.  D&D itself was first
published in 1974.

As I understand it from some folks I have talked to, there actually was
some roleplaying even earlier than Chainmail, it just didn't directly
develop into the first commerical role playing game. Of course many
wargames are also technically role playing games, but I think the true
distinction between war games and what we know today as "role playing
games" is the idea of character development, I have heard "role
assumption" as a distinguishing label for war games.

You can check TSR's history of D&D at:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/DnDArchives_FAQ.asp

Hmm...

1978-The Advanced Dungeons & Dragons® version is released and the
Player's Handbook is the first product to be released. The new
rules are so open-ended that game campaigns require a referee or
Dungeon Master (DM).

Hmm, these company histories are never right... First off, the Monster
Manual was the first AD&D book. Second, the games have required a
referee from the very start.

Tony (who has been role-playing for 19 years and counting)

Frank Filz (Who started with the first Basic D&D, just before the
Monster Manual in the fall of 1977, and who had looked at D&D in the
store somewhat earlier and put it down in favor of a real wargame like
Tractics, and who was re-writing D&D rules before he actually played his
first game [my friend got it for his birthday and I just watched them
play the first game, then I took the rules and sat on the floor for most
of the night studying them and revising them - hmm, I should contact my
friend and see if we want to do a 25th aniversary of our role playing
hobby...].)

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com