 Fun / 347
  Re: New Crossword Puzzle: 003

(...) Thanks, Suz! Every little thing that relieves some stress is a bonus! But I had a bit of trouble with this one, I'd never come across the spelling "damosel". I've always spelt it "damsel". Where does the alternative spelling come from? (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jan-01, to lugnet.fun)

  Re: New Crossword Puzzle: 003

(...) It's a more archaic spelling, IIRC, and usually used in plays or poems where it fits the meter & rhythm better than just 'damsel'. According to dictionary.com, its etymology is thus: Middle English damoisele, from Old French damoiselle, from (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jan-01, to lugnet.fun)

  Re: New Crossword Puzzle: 003

(...) Thanks for answering, Jeff. I should have indicated such in my clue. -Suz (23 years ago, 25-Jan-01, to lugnet.fun)