 FAQ / 995
994  |  996
Subject:
hackin the faq
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.faq
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 22:30:11 GMT

I've spent a few moments paying around with the LUGNET FAQ in FTX.

Starting with http://news.lugnet.com/faq/?q=autofaqpost (the batch that
Jeremy Sproat created some time ago) I've put a whopping total of three of
them here:

http://www.lugnet.com/~330/FAQ

I tried to preserve the original FAQ entries content, but maximize the
visibility of the Q&A part. The '?' links take you to the original question,
and the '!' links take you to the replies. What I've done isn't pretty. The
older portions of the FAQ will need considerable content work as well, but
for now I'm focusing on getting some structure in place.

As I write this I see I got stuff wrong. All of the URLs should be
lower-case to be consistent with the examples below. I don't want to step on
any toes: If someone else is doing this / has done this I'm glad to help
with that effort instead.

I'll continue to work on this as I can. Todd, here's a FTX FAQ question for
you. How do I view, delete, or rename files and directories?

Cary

"Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.admin.general, Cary Clark writes:
I've been thinking about this as well. And I will volunteer my time • toward
creating either the database or the traditional faq. As it is, I often
search the newsgroups for past answers and it is often fruitless, even • when
the information I seek is there somewhere. So, I add to Tim's chorus: is
someone or some group already doing this?

Jeremy Sproat and a couple others were working on it a while back and made
quite a bit of progress -- check the .faq group archives for old • discussions
-- but I think due to time considerations it has stagnated.

One thing I'd like to see in a revival is an implementation via FTX[1],
similar to what Shiri Dori did for her Acronym FAQ:

   http://www.lugnet.com/~88/acronym_faq/

and similar to what the FTX FAQ itself does:

   http://www.lugnet.com/publish/ftx/faq/

There's no searching in FTX documents (yet), but it does provide for • editing
off-line and uploading a completed document, quick editing/adjustments • online
right from a web browser, revision histories[2], and page transclusion[3] • for
building multi-FAQs out of smaller FAQs.  FTX pages are also readable as
plaintext[4], which makes them fairly suitable for posting and emailing.

--Todd

[1] http://www.lugnet.com/publish/ftx/guide/

[2] http://www.lugnet.com/publish/ftx/guide/revisions
    http://www.lugnet.com/publish/ftx/faq/$