 Administrative / General / 7919
Re: hackin the faq
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.faq
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 08:36:12 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I'm plugging along with this project; I'm a little surprised that I've
generated no feedback.

To be inspired/enraged, take a look at this sample entry -- it may not be
what you expect:

http://www.lugnet.com/~330/FAQ/Build/direction

Here's what I'm doing:
- Iterating through the FAQ entries that Jeremy posted in /faq a long time
ago.
- Finding the answers (many were posted without).
- Updating them if I can (making the links work, etc).
- Paraphrasing the answers and
- Making them "newbie-friendly" by avoiding acronyms and the like.
- Illustrating the answers when possible.

Since I'm changing individual's words (but of course not intentionally the
meaning), I always include a link to the original version. It looks like
Jeremy paraphrased as well, so I assume this is the right thing to do.

Once I've finished with Mr. Sproat's legacy, I'll start working my way
through the rest of /faq.

Also, try clicking through the hierarchy and see what you think.

Cary

"Cary Clark" <cary@corp.nospamwebtv.net> wrote in message
I've spent a few moments paying around with the LUGNET FAQ in FTX.

Starting with http://news.lugnet.com/faq/?q=autofaqpost (the batch that
Jeremy Sproat created some time ago) I've put a whopping total of three of
them here:

http://www.lugnet.com/~330/FAQ

I tried to preserve the original FAQ entries content, but maximize the
visibility of the Q&A part. The '?' links take you to the original • question,
and the '!' links take you to the replies. What I've done isn't pretty. • The
older portions of the FAQ will need considerable content work as well, but
for now I'm focusing on getting some structure in place.

As I write this I see I got stuff wrong. All of the URLs should be
lower-case to be consistent with the examples below. I don't want to step • on
any toes: If someone else is doing this / has done this I'm glad to help
with that effort instead.

I'll continue to work on this as I can. Todd, here's a FTX FAQ question • for
you. How do I view, delete, or rename files and directories?

Cary

"Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.admin.general, Cary Clark writes:
I've been thinking about this as well. And I will volunteer my time • toward
creating either the database or the traditional faq. As it is, I often
search the newsgroups for past answers and it is often fruitless, even • when
the information I seek is there somewhere. So, I add to Tim's chorus: • is
someone or some group already doing this?

Jeremy Sproat and a couple others were working on it a while back and • made
quite a bit of progress -- check the .faq group archives for old • discussions
-- but I think due to time considerations it has stagnated.

One thing I'd like to see in a revival is an implementation via FTX[1],
similar to what Shiri Dori did for her Acronym FAQ:

   http://www.lugnet.com/~88/acronym_faq/

and similar to what the FTX FAQ itself does:

   http://www.lugnet.com/publish/ftx/faq/

There's no searching in FTX documents (yet), but it does provide for • editing
off-line and uploading a completed document, quick editing/adjustments • online
right from a web browser, revision histories[2], and page • transclusion[3]
for
building multi-FAQs out of smaller FAQs.  FTX pages are also readable as
plaintext[4], which makes them fairly suitable for posting and emailing.

--Todd

[1] http://www.lugnet.com/publish/ftx/guide/

[2] http://www.lugnet.com/publish/ftx/guide/revisions
    http://www.lugnet.com/publish/ftx/faq/$