 FAQ / 893
Re: Color chart
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 20:40:58 GMT

I can explain this somewhat. I worked on Apple system software in graphics for
many years.

The Macintosh, which Suzanne uses, is set up to attempt to show each level of gray
equi-distant from each other, as the eye sees it. This is done by applying a curve
to the pixel output, which is the 1.8 gamma curve Suzanne mentioned. According to
my Macintosh, the PC defaults to a 2.2 gamma, but I've seen PCs that do no gamma
correction at all. I just went through my color calibration on Mac OS 9, and I had
a host of incorrect settings. Now when I look at Suzanne's chart, it looks much
better.

Does anyone know of a utility to calibrate a PC screen? If Shiri is using a PC
without gamma correction, then lighter colors on the Mac will appear much lighter
on the PC.

Suzanne, I don't know if you want to bother, but for the PC populace you may want
to consider recalibrating with gamma turned off. I guess the extreme would be to
provide a chart with no gamma, 1.8 Mac gamma and 2.2 PC gamma. Now that I'm
writing this, I'm thinking that a little JavaScript might be able to select the
appropriate gamma at runtime. I'll have to dig up my gamma code and see if I can
throw something together.

Cary

Shiri Dori wrote:

In lugnet.faq, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
But to answer your question, I (in daylight) hold the element above and beyond
my monitor, turning it this way and that. Then I'm look at the monitor color
and
element for comparison. If I held the element in _front_ of the monitor, my
eyes
would have everything screwey. Also, it's a bit like looking at a comet in the
night's sky. if you look straight at it, you won't see it as well as you can
from your peripheral vision.

Uh, yes. Definitely. Major headache coming right along.
Like I said, my monitor is just plain weird. But I'm using default PC windows
settings.

-Shiri