 FAQ / 892
Re: Color chart
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 20:11:13 GMT

In lugnet.faq, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
But to answer your question, I (in daylight) hold the element above and beyond
my monitor, turning it this way and that. Then I'm look at the monitor color
and
element for comparison. If I held the element in _front_ of the monitor, my
eyes
would have everything screwey. Also, it's a bit like looking at a comet in the
night's sky. if you look straight at it, you won't see it as well as you can
from your peripheral vision.

OK, I see what you mean; but even when I do that, the color is *way* off my
brick-pink. As you said, definitely monitor settings- I'm sure it looks better
on your computer... itprobably has to do with the fact that I have a flat
monitor (just a bit thicker than laptops' monitors) so the color looks
slightly different depending on the angle... d'oh!

Another of the chart's commented-out features which I'll add today is to view
the colors against dark or light backgrounds (rather than gray). That should
help you a bit. If you're still not seeing much color, I'll be interested to
know.

There's another interesting thing - I see the current bg color as a greenish
hue, not really grey. Yuck.

just to keep in mind: lightness will vary depending upon your computer's gamma
setting. That is to say, if you're running a Mac with default settings, some
colors will look lighter than on my computer or an average PC running Windows.
You've also got the monitor's calibration to consider (if you have like a pro
monitor). color matching on the internet drives me insane. Things were so cut
and dry in the print world.
:-\

Uh, yes. Definitely. Major headache coming right along.
Like I said, my monitor is just plain weird. But I'm using default PC windows
settings.

-Shiri