 FAQ / 889
Re: Color chart
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 19:52:10 GMT

In lugnet.faq, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.general, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
I have a finished rough draft of an element color chart:

   http://www.baseplate.com/colors/

I like it a lot! It'll definitely come in handy.

Rather than render each swatch as an image, I used HTML's table background
specs
for the colors. So, 8-bit displays are probably inadequate for viewing.

How did you determine what colors to use? I'm asking because the light colors
don't come up too well on my computer (true color settings). For example,
purple (what I'd call dk. pink, but ne'er mind) shows up pretty close to the
real thing, but purple+1 (the paradisa pink) shows up much lighter than the
real brick I have in front of me. And most of the light colors all look the
same here.

-Shiri

just to keep in mind: lightness will vary depending upon your computer's gamma
setting. That is to say, if you're running a Mac with default settings, some
colors will look lighter than on my computer or an average PC running Windows.
You've also got the monitor's calibration to consider (if you have like a pro
monitor). color matching on the internet drives me insane. Things were so cut
and dry in the print world.
:-\

But to answer your question, I (in daylight) hold the element above and beyond
my monitor, turning it this way and that. Then I'm look at the monitor color and
element for comparison. If I held the element in _front_ of the monitor, my eyes
would have everything screwey. Also, it's a bit like looking at a comet in the
night's sky. if you look straight at it, you won't see it as well as you can
from your peripheral vision.

Another of the chart's commented-out features which I'll add today is to view
the colors against dark or light backgrounds (rather than gray). That should
help you a bit. If you're still not seeing much color, I'll be interested to
know.

thanks for the feedback.
-Suz