 FAQ / 1273
Re: Acronym FAQ Updated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 02:31:05 GMT

In lugnet.faq, Shiri Dori writes:
Hi guys and gals,

Following an email update with some new acronyms (thanks Bruce!), I realized
the LEGO acronym FAQ needed a serious update. Some acronyms there are hardly
ever used (like PEWC or CMIIW), while other new, wide-spread ones were
missing (like Rebel Blockade Runner, or ISD).

As a result, I made an aesthetic decision to take off the bold on all the
acronyms' names. From now on, common acronyms will be in bold, while
uncommon acronyms will be italicized. Uncommon acronyms are classified as
those appearing 30 or less times, or haven't been used for a long time. I
was tempted to take some of them off entirely - some had only one or two
posts with the real acronym, and then follow-up posts with questions
("what's that acronym?")... oops... :-)  But I decided for now, they all
stay. If no-one protests I'll take them off in a couple of months...

If you don't mind I'd like to speak up in favor of keeping some of the
acronyms on your italicized list, in particular CMIIW, KABOB and KFOL.
CMIIW isn't *that* uncommon, and if you count in the posts which use the
more formal CMIIAW, which I personally tend to favor, your count will be
up to thirty-- well, with this post it will. :-)

As for KABOB and KFOL, some of the more memorable discussions in the
history of Lugnet have centered on these terms, so I think they should
be kept for that reason if no other.

I do agree this is all very subjective-- this is just my $.02.

And BTW, thanks for the update!

Maggie C.