 FAQ / 1181
Re: The commonfolk's FAQ
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2001 23:29:07 GMT

In lugnet.faq, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.faq, Selçuk Göre writes:

Shiri Dori wrote:
There aren't so many questions up yet, but feel free to contribute! Any
questions and/or answers will be gladly accepted. I will do my best to
provide answers for unanswered questions. Plus, if someone knows how to
pronounce Selçuk's name (Selçuk?) please LMK. ;-)

Wow, I'm a FAQ subject..:-) Could it be my "Greatest Claim to LEGO Fame"
?..:-)

  It's definitely mine!  :)

:) I must suscribed long ago to the faq group. Sorry abou missing your answer.

"Sel-" is like "sell" in "buy-sell-trade" but with a shorter "l" sound.
"-ç-" is like "ch-" in "chicken" or "chuck". "-u-" is like "-u-" in
"put". A passable approximation can be "sell-chook" (shorter "l",
shorter "oo").

I can't find any good method to explain "göre" but I can say it is
definitely not like "gore" in "Al Gore". The best I can say "gör-" is
like "gir-" in "girl". Add an "a"  (as in "A book, a pencil, etc.") to
the and of it for "-e". Result is "girl a" without "l"..:-)

  As with so many things, looking back to the way the English
  transliterated the terms is helpful in pronouncing them now.
  Because Turkish was originally in Arabic(-esque?) script,
  things got spelt in *lots* of different ways.  If memory
  serves (and why shouldn't it?  It'd better!), the name
  "Selçuk" also applies to an entire group of Turks, who were
  called in 18th- and 19th-century English "Selchuk" or, more
  often, "Seljuk."  I still see the latter when people are
  talking about Ottoman politics.  It's like "Pasha," "Pacha,"
  and "Pasa" (with the dot under the S, yes?)--the actual
  pronunciation is in the middle.

Yeah, Selçuklu Imparatorlugu or Seljuk Empire, who took the whole Anatolia and
more (1071, Malazgirt War), who given birth to Ottoman Empire. (1299,
foundation of Osmanli Beyligi) Actually Selçuk means "little flood" or
"floodlet" more precisely, since "-çuk" of old Turkish exactly equals to "-let"
in English (-cik, -cuk, -çik, -çuk, -çük and -cük in modern Turkish, we have a
"sound similarity" rule, so the preceeding word determines which to use). Quite
an "Native American" sounding name ..:-)

  As for göre, I'd been reading it as "goere," using the German
  model, which would add an "e" in precisely the way you describe,
  as an /uh/.

  I've been meaning to ask you, how common are your names in
  Turkey?  And what is the meaning behind your family name
  (Göre)?

"Selçuk" is rather common, or at least not an uncommon one. It's mostly
used as a male name, but I know it used as a female name in rare cases,
at least during my parents time. "Göre" means nothing actually. Maybe you
already know, but before the family name law introduced in 1930s by Atatürk, we
don't have family names. During that days every family asked for a family name
and father of my grandfather chosen "Görelli" since before coming to Istanbul,
they lived in a village in Romania called "Görel". "Görelli" means "from
Görel". Unfortunatelly the civil servant who recorded family names recorded it
wrong..:-) So there is not much "Göre" around..:-)

Selçuk