 Events / BricksWest / 498
Re: carpenter needed for the map mosaic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 22:05:02 GMT

Adrian,

What you are asking for might be overkill.

I would think some EMT conduit, a piece of tarp/canvas, and some rope to
stretch the canvas tight should be more than enough.  Portable, too.

Basically, you would hang the mosaic from rope/cable wrapped around the
top piece of EMT, and use the taut canvas as a prop for the baseplates.
  Hang the whole thing up from the top EMT too.

IF I had the time, I'd whip something up, but unfortunately it is
looking like I won't have the time.

Adrian Drake wrote:
I've been convinced to ship the Map mosaic to Brickswest for display.
Whether I come up with the money, Lego helps out, or I have to solicit
donations from the lugnet community, I haven't yet determined, but it will
be there.  What I need, though, is a frame built for the map.  I've been
told that there isn't enough wall space at the Windmill to display it, and
the walls of the pavillion aren't suitable for hanging the mosaic.
Basically, it needs a solid background to rest against, so steel tubing and
a tent just won't cut it.  What I want is a plywood backer board, with a few
1x2's behind it for support, and a 1x2 running along the bottom edge that
the baseplates can rest against.  We can then hang that frame from the tent
structure, and attach the mosaic to it.  Since the mosaic is 7.5 feet wide
and 5 feet tall, something that's 8 feet wide and 6 feet tall should do just
fine.

All I'd need for installation would be some method of attaching the frame to
somewhere (rope, perhaps?), a drill gun, and half a dozen wood screws.  Are
there any locals who would be able to construct this simple frame and bring
it to Brickswest?

Thanks
Adrian
--