 Events / BricksWest / 513
Re: carpenter needed for the map mosaic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 06:51:23 GMT

Adrian,

I can come up with something.  Please contact me directly to work out the
details.

- Wayne

"Adrian Drake" <tremor@apk.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.events.brickswest, Thomas Stangl writes:
Adrian,

What you are asking for might be overkill.

I would think some EMT conduit, a piece of tarp/canvas, and some rope to
stretch the canvas tight should be more than enough.  Portable, too.

Basically, you would hang the mosaic from rope/cable wrapped around the
top piece of EMT, and use the taut canvas as a prop for the baseplates.
Hang the whole thing up from the top EMT too.

IF I had the time, I'd whip something up, but unfortunately it is
looking like I won't have the time.

What I require is a solid backing.  If the canvas is taut, it might work,
but I don't know for sure.  Plywood might be cheaper, too.  It looks like • my
only other option will be to lay it on a table or three.  It won't be as
impressive that way, but that'll be the only way to display it.  Oh well.

Adrian

Adrian Drake wrote:
I've been convinced to ship the Map mosaic to Brickswest for display.
Whether I come up with the money, Lego helps out, or I have to solicit
donations from the lugnet community, I haven't yet determined, but it • will
be there.  What I need, though, is a frame built for the map.  I've • been
told that there isn't enough wall space at the Windmill to display it, • and
the walls of the pavillion aren't suitable for hanging the mosaic.
Basically, it needs a solid background to rest against, so steel tubing • and
a tent just won't cut it.  What I want is a plywood backer board, with • a few
1x2's behind it for support, and a 1x2 running along the bottom edge • that
the baseplates can rest against.  We can then hang that frame from the • tent
structure, and attach the mosaic to it.  Since the mosaic is 7.5 feet • wide
and 5 feet tall, something that's 8 feet wide and 6 feet tall should do • just
fine.

All I'd need for installation would be some method of attaching the • frame to
somewhere (rope, perhaps?), a drill gun, and half a dozen wood screws. • Are
there any locals who would be able to construct this simple frame and • bring
it to Brickswest?

Thanks
Adrian
--